Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, April 16, 2012

Taxes

I went to Walmart on Thursday to buy TurboTax.  Yeah, I know it's late in the game, but that's how we roll around here.  Every year we file the day of or if we are lucky, a couple of days before the deadline.  It's not like we don't know tax day is coming, we just put it off.  I blame it on our selective procrastination.

Anyway, I knew they had it since I checked online the night before.  It said it was in stock at my store and the online price was $42.43.  I could have bought it online and picked it up at the store but figured since I would be out that way, I'd just buy it at the store.   Once I got to the store, I had a hard time finding TurboTax.  I figured there would be some display or end cap with a bunch of them.  Nope, just a few copies left tucked away in the computer section.  I got the one I needed which is the Deluxe version and noticed the price of $54 and some change.  Hmmm, that's not as cheap as it is online.  I asked an employee to verify the price and he did.  I told him online it is about $42, can I have it at the online price, could they do a price matching?  He said Walmart doesn't price match with their own online prices.  How weird.  Anyway he passed me off to a girl who said she couldn't help me, she'd have to get the manager.  So I said, yes, get the manager.  The manager needed to verify the online price and so he passed me off to some other guy.  This guy was able to verify the online price and then he passed me back to the girl who had in the meantime gotten the OK from the manager to give the product at the online price if that was verified.  So after 4 people and 10 minutes I was able to buy TurboTax.  Phew!

Luckily it was not crowded and all the people I dealt with were friendly and the Babes was being good.  I know that's not always the case when shopping.  However, I still think it is ridiculous for it to take 4 people to help me buy a product at the online price which is cheaper than the in store price.  If I would have know that in the beginning, I would have bought it online the night before I went to the store.  Ugh!

OK, that is my rant for the day and here's my lesson learned - buy it online before going to the store just in case it's cheaper that way. 

Anyone else wait to the last minute to do taxes?  One year we had to take them to the post office on the day they were due, it was about 10pm.  The people working at the post office were having a big party with all kinds of food and music.  Guess they are making the most of working late and supporting the procrastinators.


24850_Shop For Mom - Spend $50, Get Free Shipping on Select Items at Target.com