Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, December 17, 2012

Hope and Service

What happened on Friday  morning at the Elementary school in CT was horrific.  I can not imagine the pain those kids and parents are going through.  Sometimes it feels like we live in such an awful world.

Here are a few quotes that I've seen floating around on Facebook and Pinterest that can give us all some hope and comfort.

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death. I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that this cruelty too shall end, and that peace and tranquility will return once again."
~Anne Frank


"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again. …
“… The only difference between the old and young dying is, one lives longer in heaven and eternal light and glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable, wicked world. Notwithstanding all this glory, we for a moment lose sight of it, and mourn the loss, but we do not mourn as those without hope.”


And here's an article about titled:  Men Shoot, Cars Crash, Diseases Surprise:  How to Live in This World.  It's a great perspective.   


I love my kids and I want them to love others too, to be one of the helpers in the world.  Doing service is a great way to help and love others.  Each day we've been doing a little Christmas-y thing.  Last week we made and delivered cookies to some of our neighbors.   It's hard to find the time to do things when the kids are in school.  So this turned into a 3 day project, even with my mother in law here to help.

On day 1, we made sugar cookies, using Christmas themed cookie cutters.  We discovered that the trees and snowmen worked best.

 On day 2, we decorated the cookies


We got a bit creative with the gingerbread men and even turned one into a soccer player with a green soccer ball.
Not every Christmas shaped cookie cutter worked out good.  The reindeer were a bit fragile and their legs were breaking off.

That's OK, it gave us some to taste test.   The Babes thought they were "yummy".

On day 3 we delivered them to our neighbors.  The kids wanted to do it anonymously at first, but then changed their minds so I was the one who set the cookies on the front porch, rang the doorbell and ran.  It felt good to do some secret service.  And I got to do some more service with Sweetie Pie last Wednesday.  Her Activity Day girls delivered cards and treats to several ladies from our church.  Most of the ladies were widows, or single moms who were so appreciative that someone took the time to make them cards and a treat and to visit with them for a little while.  I chauffeured some of the girls around and when our deliveries were all done, Sweetie Pie said she wished we had more to give out.  Awww, that makes me feel like I'm doing things right.   Not just at Christmas-time, but always, I want to instill in my children the values of service and helping others.  I want to raise my children no to fear the bad things that happen in the world, but to look for the good in others, to be one of the helpers, and to have faith and know that peace will come.


Thanks for stopping by,
Christa