Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Filling Our Lives With Things That Are Good (FHE)

For last night's Family Home Evening (FHE) the theme was "filling our lives with things that are good".


I got the initial idea from here, but changed it up a quite a bit.

Since it's almost Easter, I used some plastic eggs and Easter baskets to get my point across.

We started off by singing the 13th Article of Faith which states that:

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

I told the kids that we need to fill our lives with things that are true, virtuous, lovely, of good report and praiseworthy.  I had them each take a basket (which Sweetie Pie was quick to point out that it represents our life) and I held up eggs, saying what each one represented.  I guess I could  have had them choose eggs which had a good or bad choice written inside, but I kept is simple and easy.


If it was a good choice they could put it in their basket.  If it wasn't something good, they could figure out a way to make it good.

Some examples of the good things were:
reading scriptures,
going to church,
listening to our parents and teachers,
sharing with our siblings.

Some things that weren't good were:
breaking a toy when we are mad,
or laughing when someone else is teasing your friend.
We talked about what would be the right thing to do and then added that good egg into our baskets.

The kids had fun with this, asking me to throw the eggs into their baskets.

We ended by singing the 13th Article of Faith again and having ice cream for dessert.

Not all of our family home evenings are this successful, so I just had to share this one with you.
The kids were engaged and learning while having fun.  At least the two older kids were.  The Babes just liked putting eggs into her basket.  But hey, that kept her quiet so we could get through the lesson.

source



What successful family home evenings have you had lately?

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa