Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, August 5, 2013

Personalized Pillow

So here is the picture with quote I wanted to make for our 16th wedding anniversary but never did.  You can read more about that HERE.  Saturday we celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary, and no I still haven't gotten that picture with quote printed and framed but at least I finally got it designed on the computer.

The song  "Ice Cream" by Sarah McLachlan was the first song we danced to.  It's no secret that I love dessert, especially ice cream and chocolate, but like the song says, my husband's love is better.  So this song has special meaning to us.  And while I may not have gotten around to creating this print for our anniversary, I did make a pillow which reflects our love.

Actually I couldn't decide between 3 different sayings so I let my husband have a say in our home decor.

sources for 1, 2, and 3
The first one has the lyrics to a more recent song I like, the second would actually be 3 pillows with our first initial and an ampersand sign, and the last one is a quote from the lyrics to our wedding song.

Any guesses as to which one he chose?

In the end he picked "Ice Cream" because according to him, those lyrics have stood the test of time for us.

Using a placemat and an old dingy pillow, I decided to create a cute pillow for our bed.
First, I printed out the lyrics in a pretty font so I could trace them onto the placemat.


I cut a slit at the bottom of the placemat so I could slide the paper inside to trace the words.

This didn't work out too good as my placemat was so thick I couldn't see the words inside.  So I had to free hand it.  I used a Sharpie permanent marker to write out the letters.  It was tedious work since not only was the placemat thick, but it had a rough texture.  I had to go over each section of each letter several times to make sure it showed up.  Needless to say, I left off the "Sarah McLachlan" part.


Once I was done writing out the quote, I stuffed the pillow inside.....


....and placed it on the bed.  I didn't even sew up the slit in the back.  No one will ever know since I'm the one who makes the bed and I don't mind.




So now we have a happy little reminder of our wedding day and our love.

If you're looking to make a personalized pillow, this is certainly an easy way to do it.

Here are some other pillows I've been liking lately.  I'm sure they could be DIY-able too.

sources: 1, 2, 3


Have you made some personalized pillows?  Share you links in the comments.

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa