Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Friday, September 18, 2015

Upcycled Mermaid Skirt


I mentioned how my daughter wanted a Mermaid Birthday party.  Not Ariel from the Little Mermaid, just Mermaids.  To go with the mermaid theme, I made her a mermaid dress up skirt.  I actually used a too-small dress up outfit to make a mermaid skirt for my daughter and one for her doll.



I believe this was an Island Princess Barbie dress up outfit.  


I cut off the end of one of the sleeves and used that as the skirt for the doll.  Since the sleeve was sheer, I used some teal fabric I already had to line it.  Then I sewed the elastic in at the waist.  This was pretty simple, even for me.  I wish my daughter's skirt was as simple to make.


For my daughter's skirt, I cut out the frilly lining on the inside of the dress up outfit.  Again, I used the teal fabric I already had to be the bodice of the skirt.


I made and elastic waist and attached the teal skirt to the gathered frilly part.  This was easier said than done, but after several attempts, I finally got it to work.


My daughter was so excited to have her own mermaid skirt.  It's plenty long so she can wear it for a couple of years.



If you want to check out the rest of her mermaid themed birthday click HERE to see how I made an ocean / mermaid birthday cake,

and for a tutorial about how I made the fleece mermaid blanket just click HERE.



Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.


And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.