Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Make Your Own Cinnamon Sugar

I'm getting ready for an Easter party that I'm hosting for my kids' friends tomorrow.  We're having games and an egg hunt.  Should be lots of fun.  I'm expecting about 30 or so kids to show up.  Hopefully I'll be back on Friday with all the details in case you want to use some of the ideas for this Easter season.

In the mean time, I've got another kitchen tip for you.  To see my last kitchen tip, about using a Potato Masher to chop up ground meat, click HERE.

I've been doing this one for years.  When you run out of Cinnamon Sugar, make your own using ground cinnamon and white sugar - it's cheaper and you can make it as cinnamon-y as you like.


Take an empty Cinnamon Sugar container (in my case, I didn't have one so I just used an empty ground cinnamon container making sure to add the "+ sugar" to the label so everyone knows what's in it.


Add about 1/2 inch of ground cinnamon to the empty container.


Fill almost to the top with white sugar.  By not filling it all the way to the top, you are leaving some room to shake things up.


After some shaking, you will have Cinnamon Sugar, just like the kind you can buy at the store.  Not only have you saved yourself some money, you didn't have to leave home either.  I've made my own Cinnamon Sugar for years, each batch is a little different since I don't accurately measure out my ingredients.  The kids haven't complained, I guess anything with that much sugar to cinnamon ratio is going to taste good.  But if your family is pickier you can use trial and error to see what proportions they like best.  And if you don't use white sugar you could always substitute with a sugar alternative.


If you make your own Cinnamon Sugar, I'd love to know how it turned out.  Did you family even notice the switch?

source

In case you are wondering about the cost breakdown:
McCormick Cinnamon from Walmart costs .66 / oz.
McCormick Cinnamon Sugar from Walmart costs .70 / oz.
Great Value brand white Sugar from Walmart costs .03 / oz.
Homemade Cinnamon Sugar using .5 ounce of cinnamon per 3 ounces of sugar costs .12 / oz.

So you are saving about .60 cents an oz, and the typical Cinnamon Sugar container is 3.62 oz, which is a $2.17 savings per bottle of Cinnamon Sugar.


Anyone else have some money saving kitchen tips?

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa