Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Whoopie Pie Festival



Saturday the kids and I went to the Whoopie Pie Festival in Lancaster, PA.  I don't know many years this festival has been going on, or why I've not heard about it sooner, but I couldn't pass up a day devoted to this delicious treat.  My poor hubby had to work and missed out on all the deliciousness.  We ate all of our Whoopie Pies before we got home so he never got to taste how good they were.  Guess that means we'll be going back next year.

source

In case you're wondering what a Whoopie Pie is, it's a popular Lancaster County dessert, kind of like a mini cake the size of a hamburger.  They come in all kinds of flavors too.  



I'm finding that the best time to go to activities is just after lunchtime, when most of the families with little kids are heading home for lunch and to put their little ones down for a nap.  Although my little guy still takes a nap, he is OK to skip one every now and again.  We got there right about 1pm and didn't have to wait in any lines.

Besides buying Whoopie Pies, there were fun activities for the kids.  Even better was that a lot of it was free!

Here my two youngest are on a Whoopie Pie treasure hunt.  Mini Whoopie Pies (about the size of cookie) were wrapped in foil for the kids to find.  It was pretty easy for them to find, and they were allowed a maximum of 5 Whoopie Pies each.  And if you found a Whoopie Pie wrapped in a gold foil, you won an extra prize.  This was a free activity.  3 out of 4 of my kids participated in this so we came away with 15 mini Whoopie Pies.  Of course the kids (and I) had to start eating them right away.


Other activities included a free Whoopie Pie race and a prize for the fasted team.  This involved going around certain obstacles and performing various tasks such as spinning around with your head on a baseball bat.  You raced in teams of two and since none of my kids wanted to do this with me, we had to pass.  

There was also a Whoopie Pie launch.  This was $2 for 3 launches and a prize given to the person who came closest to hitting the target.  My kids didn't want to do this one either, I think they just wanted to eat Whoopie Pies.

Checkers was a fun game to play.  At $2 per person and you got to keep all the Whoopie Pie checker pieces, it was a great deal.  When you got 'kinged' the gals working the booth would add half a Whoopie Pie to the top of your piece.  So in the end we had over 2 dozen Whoopie Pies to eat. 


While the girls were playing a serious game of checkers, the boys had fun at the pond watching the ducks and skipping stones.  My oldest son doesn't like crowds (it's an autism thing) and since there were about 6 checkers games going on at once, it was a bit too crowded for him.  Then there's my younger son who loves food and just wanted to eat all the Whoopie Pie checker pieces, so having them go off together worked out perfectly.  And since it wasn't very crowded overall, I could easily keep an eye on them.


There was a make your own Whoopie Pie station and for $2 you could put together your own creation.  Everyone was given the same supplies:  chocolate cakes, vanilla cream and a baggie of toppings such as mini candies and gummies.  My kids had fun making their own Whoopie Pies but I was hoping for more variety/flavors to choose from.
  

At the far end of the field was a barn with geese and two tables with more free kids activities.


Once again we split up, this time the boys checked out the geese while the girls did the activities.


The Lancaster Science Factory was there showing the kids how to make slime.  There was also a local art studio (Zole Art Factory) there letting the kids paint necklace pendants.  


And just so you don't think this event was just for the kids.  Various crafters had tents set up to display and sell their wares.  


Home decor, jewelry, candles, pet supplies and women's accessories were some of the wares available to purchase.  I saw these cute wooden pumpkin blocks and think I could DIY this myself.  


Besides crafts there was lots of food for sale like burgers and chicken.  All in all, we only stayed for about two hours which was perfect for my kids attention spans. We didn't stay for the Whoopie Pie eating contest, my son who previously said he'd do it, decided not to.  It was a shame because I think he really could have had a chance at winning.  I mean that boy can eat and eat and eat.  

We ended out adventure by walking past the world's largest Whoopie Pie. 




Anyone else ever been to a Whoopie Pie festival?  I know Lancaster isn't the only town to host one.  



Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.