Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Old Fashioned Zucchini Bread


My Grandmother whom we affectionately called Nanny, would make the most delicious zucchini bread and zucchini cake.  It's actually the same recipe you just put it in a bread pan for bread or a bundt pan for the cake.  It's so good, my kids don't even know they are eating vegetables.  


Way back when I got married, I was given this cookbook.  


I've held onto it ever since as it's got some good advice in there.  I've also added some tried and true recipes to it and this zucchini bread is one of them.  

I'm one of those people who doesn't really like to cook, and the easier it is to make the better.  This is a made from scratch recipe and it does take some work (I think shredding the zucchini is the most time consuming part) but it is so worth it.  

Old Fashioned Zucchini Bread

dry ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon

wet ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups grated zucchini
2 tablespoons vanilla

optional ingredients:
1 cup nuts and/or raisins


Using two large bowls, you put dry ingredients in one and wet ingredients in the other.


Then you mix them together,


Pour them into your pans and bake them.


They smell delicious and are the perfect fall/winter treat.  They are great paired with apple cider, or hot chocolate (if you're a chocoholic like me).


And the best part is, whenever I take the time to make this, I am reminded of my sweet Nanny.  This is one recipe to pass along to my kids and tell them stories about their great grandmother, like how she always had more than enough food on the table no matter what time of day or how many people stopped by.



Nanny's Zucchini Bread/Cake recipe:

dry ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon

wet ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 cups grated zucchini
2 tablespoons vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in another large bowl.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
OPTIONAL:  add 1 cup nuts or raisins and mix well.
Pour into bread pans for bread or bundt pan for cake.
Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
Check with toothpick to make sure it's done, if not bake 5 minutes more and check (repeat if needed).
OPTIONAL:  drizzle with powdered sugar.
Serve warm, serve at room temperature, or freeze and serve later - it's all good.





Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.