Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Cherry Angel Food Pudding

So here's the yummy treat I made for the kid's first day of school.
It is so easy to make and easy to change it up.
It's called Cherry Angel Food Pudding and I got the recipe off the back of a can of sweetened condensed milk years and years ago.

Cherry Angel Food Pudding
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup cold water
1 (4-serving) package of instant vanilla pudding
1 (8 oz) container of plain yogurt (I used vanilla instead)
1 container of whipped cream
1 angel food cake cut into cubes (I used a pound cake instead)
1 (21 oz) can of cherry pie filling

Put the sweetened condensed milk into a large bowl.
Add 1 cup of cold water and stir.
Add the instant vanilla pudding and mix.  I like to use a whisk for this part.
Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
Mix in the yogurt.
Fold in the whipped cream.
This is the pudding mixture part of the recipe.

In the picture below I have the pudding mixture in the silver bowl.  The cherry pie filling is in the can in the middle and the cut up pound cake (store bought) is on the right.    It makes a lot and I don't have a large bowl with a lid so I just use one of those gallon ice cream containers to store it in.


To assemble the dessert, just put in 1/3 of the pudding mixture, top with 1/2 of the cake cubes, and top that with 1/2 of the pie filling.  Then add another 1/3 of the pudding mix, the rest of the cake cubes and the rest of the pie filling.  Top with the last 1/3 of the pudding mix.




The Babes was helping me:

To change it up, you could use different flavors of instant pudding, yogurt and pie filling.  You could also use fresh fruit instead of pie filling.  I've used angel food cake and pound cake, but I guess a regular white or yellow cake could work too.  You could do strawberry pudding, yogurt and fresh strawberries for a strawberry angel food pudding dessert.  Or mix fruits, such as strawberry yogurt with fresh blueberries, and the plain yogurt for a red, white and blue treat.

I've tried several different varieties and they have all turned out great.  Storing it in a clear-ish type container is pretty since you can see the different layers.  This is a yummy summer time dessert, and the perfect way to celebrate a great first day of school.