Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tie Dye Trouble Shooting

I can't believe it's August already and the summer is winding down.  School starts at the end of this month, but until then, we are staying busy with more summertime fun.

Last week, we had a little tie dye party.  And by party, I mean that Sweetie Pie had a friend over so it wasn't just my kids dying shirts.  They were all super excited though and couldn't wait to get started.


Since I like to make things as mess free as possible, we did this outside.  We laid down some paper towels and placed the folded and rubber banded shirts on top.  Oh, and everyone got a pair of gloves to wear too.


I used this One-Step Tie Dye Kit from Tulip.  The colors were pink, lime green and turquoise.
It was very simple to use and the kids actually stayed mess free.

After the shirts were dyed, we wrapped them in saran wrap and let them sit overnight to get the colors as vibrant as possible.  The next day we rinsed them out till the water ran clear, then washed them in the washing machine 3 times in hot water just to make sure the color was set.


I only ran into one little problem.
I should have followed the directions.

When they say don't oversaturate, they mean it.  

The Babes' favorite color is blue and she wanted a blue shirt.  I added way to much blue to her shirt and after two hours of rinsing it, the water coming off the shirt was still blue.  And my finger tips were blue from all that rinsing and wringing.  They don't look that blue in the picture, but trust me, they were Smurf blue. After a little trouble shooting, I finally solved this problem by washing it with some bleach.  I figured adding some bleach to her tie dye shirt wouldn't hurt it, right?  And it didn't.  And the water came out clear.
So now you know, if you ever add too much dye, just wash with bleach and the color will finally set.


And here they all are in their fabulously tie dyed shirts:


Anyone else try the one-step tie dye products.  It's super easy, right?  Well, as long as you don't oversaturate, but now you know how to solve that.

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa