Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Glass Etching

In my last post, I mentioned what I planned to do for my husband's Father's Day gift.  You can read all about it HERE.  Well, I'm happy to report, I actually finished it before Father's Day!!!  


My husband is hard to buy for.  He has just about everything.  The things he wants are very specific so I'd have to ask him for the model numbers and other details so it wouldn't be a surprise.  But, he does like certain candies.  So I got his favorites and made his his own candy jar.  It's kind of hard to see, but it says "Kevin's Stache" with a picture of a mustache.  

I got the original idea from Pinterest but instead of using vinyl to put on the words, I wanted to etch the glass.  I thought the vinyl may come off when washing it and that the etched glass would last longer.  I used this Silhouette glass etching kit below.  This was the first time I have ever etched glass.  It didn't even occur to me to use a practice piece of glass.  Luckily it turned out OK.  


Here's the jar without the candy.  You can see the words a little better. 


I followed the directions but there are a few tiny mistakes, nothing too noticeable.
You can see on the mustache, there are some uneven spots.  


And since the word "Stache" was partly on the curved part of the glass, some of the etching cream seeped under the vinyl making the letter "S" and "e" a little fuzzy around the bottom edges.


Like I said, it's barely noticeable, and I'm just pleased it actually worked and I finished his present in time for Father's Day.




Has anyone else tried glass etching.  It really was easy.  Next time I will be more careful on my vinyl placement especially when putting it on a curved surface.  




Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.




And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.