Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Perfect Picture Mats (continued)

Yesterday I wrote about how I made the perfect picture mat for Sweetie Pie's room HERE.
Today I'm back to share how I made the picture mats in the Babe's room perfectly match her bedding and curtains.

We have a four bedroom house and before the Babes was born, the fourth bedroom was a guest room with a queen sized bed.  We often have our moms or other family spend the night so getting rid of the queen sized bed was not an option.   We just added a crib to that room, but as for decorating it, I didn't want to make it overly baby-ish since it is also a guest room.  I also didn't want to do anything permanent like paint, or anything too expensive like get new curtains and bedding.  So I worked with what I had.  And what I had was sage green curtains on the three windows in this room.

 
I also loved this children's book

and since it was gender neutral and not overly baby-ish, I decided to incorporate that into the decor.
I bought the wall decals that match the book found HERE, and put them up all over the room.
Here they are above the crib



Adding the wall decals was not enough.  I needed to carry this theme throughout the room more.  We have the book which I displayed on a wall shelf, but I also wanted to take pages from the book and frame them.  I was lucky enough to find another copy of the book at a garage sale for .25 so I didn't feel bad about cutting out the pages.  Of course I wanted the mats to perfectly match the sage green color scheme.  Since I didn't have sage green paint to paint the mats like I did in Sweetie Pie's room, I needed to think of a different way to get the color I want.  As luck would have it I found a pillow case set for about $5 and a flat sheet for $3 on clearance at WalMart.  They matched the curtains perfectly.  Oh and to add to the perfect-ness of it all, I already had a sage green throw that I'd forgotten about.  It also matched so I put that at the bottom of the bed.  I love it when things work out!

I used the flat sheet to make a crib skirt (I'll have to post about that later, but it was an easy no sew project) which would match the pillows on the queen bed thereby tying the whole room together.  I was loving it!


Now back to the picture mats.  I used the left over fabric from the flat sheet and glued that to some existing picture mats to frame the pages of the book. 

Since some of the pages didn't fit within the picture mat, I just used the top half or bottom half of the mat.  

I really like how everything turned out and it all matches.  I knew I wanted the queen bed, curtains and crib bedding to coordinate so adding the crib to the room didn't look like an after thought.  I just can't believe I was able to do it all so cheaply - for about $20.25 (wall stickers, 2 pillow cases and 1 flat sheet)





24850_Shop For Mom - Spend $50, Get Free Shipping on Select Items at Target.com



linking up to:
sassysites.blogspot.com
www.justusfourblog.com