Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Cakes

It looks like we escaped the worst of Hurricane Sandy.  We had lots of wind and rain but thankfully no loss of power or damage.  They are still calling for strong winds today, but right now it is pretty calm outside.

In preparation of the storm, we baked some bread, brownies and cakes.  I figured we should use the oven while we still can.  As I mentioned in Friday's post , there were a couple of Halloween themed desserts I wanted to try, so I made a spider and a Frankenstein cake yesterday.   I originally got the idea from HERE and HERE.

My simplistic version involved 3 steps:

1.  Bake the cake.  I used a box cake mix and divided it into two square pans.

2.  Ice the cake.  I used white (vanilla) frosting and divided into to portions.  I put a few drops of green food coloring in one portion and a few drops of red and yellow food coloring into the second portion.

3.  Add the design.  I used a food coloring gel in black.  For the spider, I used a Hershey kiss.





It doesn't look exactly like the professional cake, but I'm not a professional either, so it's close enough for me.
 And the kids thought they were pretty cool too.

What Halloween themed food have you made?




Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to keep up with all of our craziness, be sure to follow along using one of the options on the right sidebar.

Christa