Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Friday, February 22, 2013

Thrifty Finds

Wednesday I did my very first guest post for the Inspiration Cafe.  If you missed it, you can check it out HERE.

Also you can now follow me via Facebook and Twitter to get the latest blog posts and more.  Just click the buttons on the right sidebar.  Thanks.


I love to get a good deal.  Who doesn't, right?
And I'm not just thrifty with my money, I'm thrifty with my time too.  Like the other day when I had to go to the library because I had reached my maximum allowed renewals.  You see, I like to renew things as many times as possible so I don't have to make an extra trip out somewhere.  We live about the same distance from two different libraries although the one I had to go to is the more out of the way one.   The libraries are in two different counties and when one library doesn't have the book or movie I want, the other one usually does, so that's helpful.  By the way, the movie I checked out was a training seminar by Jed Baker called Social Skills Training and Frustration Management.  It was pretty good and I recommend it for anyone dealing with kids on the autism spectrum.  I've read several of his books and like those too.


Anyway, since I had to return this movie, I thought I'd run a few errands while I was out that way.  I had been filling up a bag for donations, so I thought I'd stop by a thrift store to drop them off.  I've never been to this particular thrift store so I was hoping to find some cool stuff.

I've read on other blogs where they go to a thrift store and find some "diamond in the rough".  They transform an ugly piece of furniture or picture into a cute piece of art with a little DIY and creativity.  I was hoping to find something similar, but after meticulously looking at every single thing in the store, I couldn't find anything worthy of a transformation.  So I started looking at clothes.  I was hoping to find something for myself but it was the Spencinator who lucked out.

I found a Calvin Klein dress shirt that looks like it was never worn, for $5.50.  It is a cotton sateen blend.  It is so soft, which is just how he likes his clothes.  I also found a Boy Scout shirt for $2.50 - those things are like $25 - $30 new, and he'll be needing one next year when he becomes a Boy Scout.   It had a couple of patches on it but they were sewn on and easy to remove.


I was very pleased with my purchases and glad to get rid of two garbage bags full of stuff.  As for how I keep track of what I donate (for tax purposes), I'll be writing another post about that soon.


What bargains have you scored at a thrift store lately?

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa