Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Creative bed making for bed wetters

My solution for changing wet sheets in the middle of the night:

We had  a difficult time potty training our now 8 year old son.  And it took even longer to get him to stay dry at night.  We used Goodnites brand diapers for him to sleep in for a couple of years since he'd regularly have an accident.  And now that he's been wearing his big boy underwear for a couple of years, there is still the occasional accident.  It is such a pain to be woken up in the middle of the night to have to change sheets.  So I came up with a great system to quickly and easily change his sheets and get me back to my much needed sleep.

I make his bed like this:  mattress, waterproof mattress pad, sheet, a second waterproof mattress pad, a second sheet.  Then his blankets are on top.  So when he has an accident, I just take off the sheet and top waterproof mattress pad.  He bed is still made underneath so he can go right to sleep and I can go back to bed.  The type of waterproof mattress pad is important.  We've tried a couple over the years and found that the best ones are soft fabric on top and the plastic liner underneath.  They don't make much of a crinkly sound when you sleep on them.  At first we used the cheap-o ones that are nothing more than a thin sheet of plastic.  They crinkle and make all kinds of noise, I don't know how the kids were able to sleep with them on.  Plus after a while, they actually ripped.  I don't know if my kids are active sleepers, moving all about in their beds, but these were not durable at all.  So I purchased nicer ones and they are money well spent.

I hadn't had to change his sheets in a while and so I was pleasantly surprised to find that I still had this system in place when I had to change his sheets last night.  Anyone else have this problem, any other creative ways to solve having to routinely change bed sheets?  Oh and don't get me started on diapers leaking.  This boy could leak through just about anything starting from day one.  We had an ingenious way of solving that problem too.  The double diaper.