Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, February 6, 2012

100th day of school

The 100th day of school is coming up.  In fact it is tomorrow.  A week or two ago, Sweetie Pie's first grade teacher sent home a note about making 100th day projects.  She wants the kids to use 100 objects to make something creative.  She doesn't want 100 things in  a bag.

I remember doing this for the Spencinator in first and second grade.  My favorite was his second grade project, it made me laugh.  The teacher sent home a very large paper hat and he had to decorate it with 100 things.  He chose to punch 100 holes in it.  Ha ha!

OK, back to what Sweetie Pie had to create.  She decided all on her own that she wanted to sew something and have 100 stitches.  How creative is that.  She told me a couple of the other kids ideas like 100 noodles on a string for a necklace, or 100 noodles glued to paper to make a rainbow.  I may be biased but I think hers is by far the most creative.

She started out wanting to sew a heart onto the fabric.  I had some white fleece left over from another project so that's what we used.  I had her draw on the fleece with washable marker and then just follow the outline to hand sew a heart.  That wasn't enough stitches so she outlined the heart and sewed some more.  Still not enough stitches, so she drew a star and sewed that.  Almost to 100 but still 10 stitches short.  She wanted a music note, so we drew that out of 10 dots so she'd know where to sew and we'd be sure to have exactly 100 stitches.  Now it was done.  But it kinda looked unfinished.  Sweetie Pie suggested we put a fabric on the back and a border around the front.  



I had some leftover princess fabric from a curtain project gone wrong.  I cut that and hemmed it under around the front to create a border.  Not bad.  And it can double as a baby blanket, just what she wanted.


Now, I am not a very good sewer, but I can sew a straight line.  So when Sweetie Pie was suggested making a skirt with the extra princess fabric.  I got right on it.  So now I'm in the middle of making not one, but two skirts.  I couldn't resist making a matching one for the Babes.  I just need to buy some elastic so I can finish them. 


Oh, I'm feeling so crafty.  Since my sewing machine is out (and will stay out till I get the elastic and these skirts done) I might do some more crafty sewing.