Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Inspiration For The Weekend -32 (Patient Moms = Smarter Kids?)

We've all heard the saying "Patience is a Virtue", but can having patience make your kids smarter?
One study seems to think so.

Katie over at Mommy with Selective Memory wrote about this and said:

"The study showed that children with nurturing mothers had a larger hippocampus (area of the brain that controls short-term and long-term memory) by almost ten percent than the children whose mothers tended to scold in a harsh manner."

"Now, don't panic. Researchers of this study stress that occasionally losing your temper won’t cause the hippocampus to suddenly shrink and simply being patient can't guarantee smart kids, but it is clear that long-term impatience can have lasting effects. Ever since I read this study, I find it easier to take a deep breath, because I now have true motivation to quit snapping at my kids.  "

Be sure to read the rest of what Katie has to say over at her blog HERE, and you can read the actual article about the study HERE (Maternal support in early childhood predicts larger hippocampal volumes at school age)


While I'm not sure if enough evidence is gathered to prove this theory, it certainly makes me want to be more patient with my children.   I mean what have I got to lose, certainly not my temper.


Every Friday I do a post called "Inspiration For The Weekend" where I share something that has inspired me in some way. Sometimes I'm inspired to create, do something, learn or change. I hope you'll find something that inspires you too.

Have a great weekend!
Christa