Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Leftover Turkey Soup

I thought I'd give you a break from reading about all my picture hanging, and write about food and the fun we had last weekend.  It's no secret that I don't really like cooking.  So if I find something easy and delicious, I add the recipe to my approved recipe box.  I have a box of only approved recipes.  Meaning that if I make it and we like it, I write it down on a recipe card and add it to the box.

After the holidays we had some leftover turkey.  I got tired of eating turkey sandwiches and searched the Internet for different things to do with leftover turkey.


I came across this recipe for Low Fat Chunky Turkey and Rice Soup.
The recipe is listed below with my modifications in parenthesis.

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped
1 large stalk celery, halved lengthwise, then sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 tsp salt-free poultry seasoning (used regular poultry seasoning)
4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (I used bouillon cubes and hot water to make 4 cups of chicken broth)
1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I didn't have crushed tomatoes on hand, so I used diced tomatoes instead)
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 cups cooked white-meat turkey, torn into chunks (I put in some dark meat too and probably added more like 2 1/2 cups)

Preparation:
Heat oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot.
Add onions, celery, and carrots and sauté until onions are softened.
Stir in seasoning and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Add broth and crushed tomatoes, followed by rice.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Stir in turkey and cook for 2 minutes more, until turkey is hot.

This was a great alternative to turkey sandwiches and was gobbled up in no time.  With the extra turkey and the rice, it was very filling.

So, do you have any great recipes for leftover turkey?  I bet this would be great with chicken too.

And speaking of chickens, we went to the PA Farm Show last Saturday and the Babes was fascinated by all the birds.



We've lived in PA all my adult life and I've never been to the Farm Show before.  It's held at a huge building and there are tons of things to look at.  Here are some more of the highlights:


A fight broke out between these two steer.  Well, not really, they were only playing.  I didn't think they were too wild and dangerous since the only thing keeping us from them was a couple of ropes.

 Sweetie Pie got brave and pet one of the steer. 

I had never seen white peacocks before.  There was even one with all white feather, including the tail.

There was a bunch of sheep shearing going on.

After the sheep where sheared, they were dressed in these spandex suits.  They reminded me of Speedo swimsuits.

There were all kind of patterns

But I thought this one was the coolest.

We also saw the famous butter sculpture.  Yes, that is all made from butter.  This is the view from the back.  There was quite a crowd looking at the front and we were running short on time so we just got the rear view.

The Babes also loved all the bunny rabbits.  She reached right in and touched this big fluffy one before we noticed the sign that said, "do not feed fingers to the bunnies".

I'd say our first trip to the Farm Fair was fun.  I'm not sure we'll make it a yearly tradition, but I'm glad I finally got to see what all the hype was about.


Anyone else been to the PA Farm Show?  What's your favorite thing to do there?


Thanks for stopping by,
Christa