Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patrick's Day recap

St. Patrick's Day turned into a 3 day celebration at our house (thanks to some fun ideas I found on Pinterest).  Pinterest is my go to place for holiday and party ideas.  There are so many fun and creative ways to celebrate that I couldn't just do one or two.   I mentioned in my last post HERE about my St. Patrick's Day plans so I'm back to share with you what we did in case you want to file these ideas away for next year.

Anyway, we are only slightly Irish, and we don't usually celebrate St. Patrick's Day with this much fun and food.  It's normally a one day event with some leprechaun fun and a cute green snack.  This year St. Patty's Day fell on a Sunday which meant the kids celebrated it in school on Friday.

Here they are dressed in green.  I even dressed the Babes up in a shamrock shirt even though she doesn't go to school yet.  As you can tell the Spencinator didn't want his picture taken.


From THIS Pinterest idea, I tried to make Sweetie Pie's hair look like a clover.  It didn't turn out the greatest.  I think the bottoms of the 'hearts' should be closer together.  I was going to do this again for Sunday, and hopefully get it right, but didn't have the time.



I made a cute treat with a note for their lunches.



When they came home from school, all Sweetie Pie could talk about was wanting to make a trap to catch the leprechaun, so we did.





I love her phonetic spelling of 'clime' and 'tresher'.  The ideas was that the leprechaun would climb up to get the treasure (some gold eggs) and fall through the paper into the shoe box underneath.

However, he managed to escape and climb out the window by making some stairs out of Duplo blocks.



He did leave some gold behind.


We actually had a visit from our leprechaun on Saturday.  I know he usually visits on St. Patrick's Day, but we had some early morning church meetings and it was just going to be easier to do it on Saturday, so we did.  You know me, I like to make things easy on myself and trying to do leprechaun fun and get the kids ready for church was going to be more stressful than fun.  So Saturday was day 2 of our St. Patrick's Day fun.


It started with these notes that I copied from THIS treasure hunt idea.  Friday night I set everything up so I would be able to sleep in on Saturday.  The Spencinator and Sweetie Pie each had their own set of notes leading to their pot of gold.  The gold was actually chocolate coins.



The kids woke up to find their notes and followed them to the treasure which was in the kitchen.  From there they got to eat Lucky Charms cereal (a treat since we don't normally buy the sugary cereal) with green milk.

Yes, I put green food coloring in the milk the night before too.   I also told the Spencinator to help his sisters pour their cereal and milk so I could stay in bed for as long as possible.

 
Saturday afternoon, Sweetie Pie had a friend over and while they played, Leprechaun Pete left a few of his chocolate gold coins behind.  The girls were hilarious, looking all over for him and even writing a story about him.  They never guessed it was me, and I was guiding them to the right places to find the gold coins.


 
The girls also decorated some rainbow cupcakes (I got the idea from HERE).  The icing was dyed blue and we used skittles to make a rainbow because that's what I had.  The skittles were left over from THIS Valentine's project.  They also added a mini marshmallow to each end of the rainbow.




Because I had more batter than cupcake pans, we also made a little rainbow cake.

 
On Sunday, St. Patrick's Day, we were into our 3rd day of fun and food.  After church we made Shamrock Shakes complete with our shamrock straws (got the ideas from here and here.)



We also played a game of roll-a-leprechaun (you can find that idea including printables here.)

Later in the day we had a rainbow-licious fruit platter with strawberries, oranges, pineapples, grapes, blueberries and banana slices for the gold.



What fun ways did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
Anyone else celebrate all weekend long?

With St. Patrick's Day over, I'm thinking of fun ways to celebrate Easter and the arrival of spring. 

Thanks for stopping by,
Christa