Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Monday, March 23, 2015

Barrette Holder

Several months back, the girls began sharing a room together.  My girls are 4 and 10.  The 4 year old loves sharing a room with her older sister, but my 10 year old wasn't too thrilled about having to share a room with her baby sister.  To make this transition as painless as possible (ie. with as few complaints as possible), I told my 10 year old that she could design the room.  I knew whatever she designed would be fine with my 4 year old since she'd want to be just like her big sister.  My 10 year old decided she wanted a horse themed bedroom.   The girls got some horse sheets for Christmas and I didn't do much since then.  We've slowly, very slowly added a few horse pictures and things here and there.  It's still very much a work in progress.  

With two girls sharing one room, I've been trying to consolidate and organize as much as I can.  I figure they can now share their hair barrettes and I'd store them on the wall rather than in a bin in the closet to free up some closet space.  I've seen barrette holders in stores and on Pinterest where the barrettes are clipped to a ribbon and knew I wanted to make something like that.  

Here is what I came up with:
The perfect barrette holder for their horse themed bedroom!


I let my 10 year old pick out the ribbon and we were lucky enough to find this wooden horse that was already painted.  I added it to the top using my hot glue gun.  To finish off the end of the ribbon, I just folded it over and hot glued it to the back side of the ribbon. 

I added this mirror behind the bedroom door about a month ago.  Putting the barrette holder next to it seemed like the logical thing to do.

My older daughter's barrettes are stored at the top, then their shared barrettes in the middle and barrettes just for my youngest daughter are at the bottom.  It was my older daughter's idea to organize them that way.

And here's my 4 year old modeling some of her barrettes.  

We had some ribbon left over so I decided to pretty up the stool that my 10 year old uses at her desk. 

Once again I just used my hot glue gun to glue one end of the ribbon to the other.  It worked out perfectly because the design matches up.

There is still some more ribbon left over and I'm thinking of using it to fancy up some curtains or a valance for their room.  I love adding these cute little finishing touches.  




Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.

And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.