Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Ice Play on a Hot Day

It's been a while since my last post and a lot has happened which has been keeping me busy.  We are moving to New York!!!  My husband took a new job and has been working there for just over a month.  We should settle on our new house in the next week or two and the movers are packing up our current home in 3 weeks.  I'll have to fill you in on what we did to get our current house ready to sell, as well as what the new house looks like.  As for today, I'm sharing how I'm keeping my kids busy on these hot summer days.  Bonus - it also keeps them out of the house and since we haven't sold it, I'm trying to keep it clean and 'show ready' all the time.  

A couple days ago I froze some dinosaurs and other plastic animals in a few small containers we had.  My youngest two (ages 7 and 3) loved trying to melt the ice to get the animals out.  




Then a few neighborhood kids came over to play and had fun with the ice.  


So the next day I decided to do it again but this time, I made it even bigger.


I froze the ice in layers, adding in more animals with each layer.


The kids had a blast trying to chisel and dig out the animals.


It kept them busy for over an hour.





Some of the kids enjoyed licking the ice too.


My teenage son couldn't resist joining in the fun and broke off chunks for the younger kids to play with.


Then he had fun throwing ice chunks into the yard.



It was so much fun just playing with the ice, my teenage son made his own ice block for the next day.



If you've been following this blog for a few years, you may remember that I posted about something similar (Ice Eggs) a few years ago.  Those are fun too, but this method is easier and you can make huge blocks of ice with the right containers.  You can experiment with different containers too.  We used a plastic cup to get this cylindrical shape.





Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.

And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.