Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Office Chair Make Over


Happy New Year!
Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and winter break.  
I'm back with the office chair make-over I mentioned on Facebook.  



Before Christmas, I went to a church rummage sale.  There I scored this office chair for just $5.  


My oldest daughter needed a chair for her desk and this style is what she wanted.  However, the color was not want she wanted.  I figured I could recover the cushions in a fabric to match her room.  My husband said I didn't need another project.  Knowing how some of my projects have turned out in the past, he had a point.  Of course I’m not the only one to recover an office chair, there were several tutorials on Pinterest.  So with Pinterest on my side, I decided to go for it.

The first thing to do was to separate the padded top from the plastic back.  Unscrewing the back from the chair and then using a butter knife was the easiest way to do this.


Then I laid out my fabric and cut to size.


I wrapped the fabric around the padded chair back and used a staple gun to secure it.


Here's what it looks like from the front.  I was happy to see that my pattern was straight and not slanting upward.


Then using the butter knife to pry open the plastic back, I slide the padded part back in.


The top is done and now onto the seat.


The process was similar however there were also some screws attaching the seat cushion to the black plastic base.


Once I got the seat cushion off, I laid out my fabric, cut it and stapled it in place.  Then I reattached the seat cushion to the plastic seat.


Voila!  A custom office chair!


I love the way it turned out, and it wasn’t too hard to do either.  This project only took me about an hour and now my daughter has a custom, one of a kind office chair to match her room.  $5 for the chair and $5.99 for a yard of fabric is all it cost.  I could have gotten away with half a yard but I bought a little extra in case I made a mistake.  So now we have some leftover fabric for another project.



It's these little touches to make things coordinate in a room that really turn a house into a home.  I can't wait to show you what else I've been doing to make our new house home.




Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.

And don't forget to follow me on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.