Click below to shop amazon and support my blog. Thank you!

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Painting little pumpkins

The other day I drove by a local Amish farm and out by the road they had a little stand where they were selling pumpkins.  It was one of those unmanned stands that works by the honor system.  You buy what you want and leave the money in the box, in this case it was a baby wipes container.  I wouldn't have even stopped if it hadn't been for the enormous pumpkin they had sitting there.  My oldest has been wanting a large pumpkin and I thought this just might be it.  So I parked the car and had him hop out to see how much it was. 


$7.00 for an 85 pound pumpkin!  We just had to get it.  And by we, I mean my son picked it up and carried it to the car, then from the car to the front porch.  I haven't even tried to lift that thing.



That was the biggest pumpkin they had.  I think all the rest were around $1.00 or less, including those five small ones in the front of the picture below for just .05¢ each.


I ended up getting 21 pumpkins for only $13.  Several of the pumpkins are going to my daughter's school for a pumpkin project they are doing in her first grade classroom.  The rest are decorating my mantel.  We still have to go pumpkin picking and get some good carving pumpkins.


If you want to check out how I made those wooden pumpkin blocks, check out THIS POST from last year. 

We aren't going to carve these really little ones, but I still want them to look festive so we tried a few painting techniques.  Spray painting them was the easiest and fastest drying method.

Here's my little guy all ready to paint.  


My 7 year old painted and then used the glitter pens to add some detail.


We used metallic paint and a brush or sponge to paint it on.  Even I did one with a gold stem and metallic copper pumpkin.


Then I spray painted one gold and one black and let my older daughter embellish them with the glitter pens.


She made a black spider web on the gold pumpkin,


and a silver spider on the black pumpkin.


Here they are displayed on the mantel:



If you have little pumpkins in need of a makeover, check out these ideas I found on Pinterest.  

Unicorn Pumpkins  
My youngest daughter who just had to have a unicorn pinata for her birthday would love this.



Emoji Pumpkins (this would be fun for teens)

Super Hero pumpkins
My three year old who loves Batman, would love these.


And for the sports fans, this baseball pumpkin is cute.


For a little creepiness you could try an eyeball pumpkin.

These donut pumpkins look fun.

The M&M's looks cute too.


Bold colors with gold glittery stems makes a nice statement.

For something a bit more sophisticated you could try white pumpkins with gold lettering.
I love the decoupage and glitter look.

And if you're really crafty, why not try painting a scene.

Black pumpkins with white words and this cute little spider looks classy too.


And if you still need more ideas, check out 30 days of pumpkin painting: 


 Happy pumpkin painting!


Subscribe to CONTROLLING Craziness and get my blog updates via email.   Don't miss anymore posts, click HERE to get email updates.